Call me back
01 Mar 2022

What are the Short Courses in Canada for International Students?

Short Courses in Canada

Might it be said that you are keen on contemplating in Canada. However don't have any desire to focus on a long course? Observe about short courses in Canada from the underneath referenced interface.

Short courses offered in Canada are greatly popular among the international student community worldwide. Career-oriented curriculum, flexible entry requirements, and short study duration are among the many benefits of pursuing short terms courses in Canada.

In this article, we would like to introduce you to the various types of short-term courses in Canada, their advantages, disadvantages, and more. Read further to know more.


Types of Short Term Courses in Canada


  1. Associate Course – An undergraduate degree that a student undertakes after General Educational Development Test(GED) or high school is called an associate degree. Lying between High School and a Bachelor’s degree, this level of qualification is usually for up to 2 years of study. Compared to a Bachelor’s degree, an associate degree consumes less time and money. Those individuals who require some college degree in their academic background can greatly benefit from doing an associate course. In Canada, most schools allow students to pursue Bachelor’s degree after completion of an Associate degree. The usual study hours of an associate degree mount up to 60 credit hours which students can continue to study to complete a bachelor’s degree.

  2. Diploma Course – A Diploma course is specially designed for job-oriented skills and is considered a post-secondary short course. In this type, of course, practical and industry-specific skill-based learning is emphasized than all-around learning like in the case of a degree. Diploma courses are usually of 2-year duration but may also be of 1 year. Diplomas in both undergraduate and graduate levels are offered by Canadian universities. The Diploma offered at the undergraduate level is called a College Diploma or Advanced Diploma and the Diploma offered at the graduate level is called a Graduate Diploma or Post graduate Diploma. Completion of GED or high schools is necessary to join for College Diploma and College Diploma to join for Post Graduate Diploma. You can enroll either for a degree course or directly venture into the job market after the successful completion of a Diploma.

  3. Certificate Course – There are similarities between Certificate courses and Diploma in matters like curriculum, practical education, etc. Shorter compared to Diploma, certificate programs are shorter and career-focused helping you prepare for a specific job role. These programs are often considered as additional training for those who have completed a Diploma or a Degree. Some schools offer Certificate programs of two years. The certificate course is offered at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels and to study a Graduate Certificate course in Canada you may require a College Diploma or a University degree. Certificate course in accounting is of 1-year duration providing you with the best skills to make a successful career in accounting.


Short Term Courses in Canada: Admission Requirements 


Admission requirements for diploma/ certificate courses vary from one province to another.

Some of the common admission requirements for short term courses across all colleges in Canada are listed below:


  • Academic transcripts: The official academic transcripts of all previous years of education are to be submitted. Both original and translated copies of transcripts are required for submission.

  • Birth certificate and parental consent: For vocational colleges, birth certificate submission is required. Parental consent is essential if you are below 18 years of age.

  • Language proficiency: English language proficiency is to be proved by submitting scores of recognized tests such as IELTS.

  • Immigration documents: Admission to many diplomae and certificate courses of duration longer than 6 months require a Canadian Study Permit. A temporary Canadian student visa is acceptable for courses with less than 6 months duration.


Short Term Courses and Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

Students should understand that different rules of PGWPP are applicable for various degree and short-term programs. You may get 3 years of PGWP if your course is 2 years and more and if your course is more than 8 months and less than 2 years, you would likely receive a PGWP which is equal to the length of your course. You need to also keep in mind that if your course is less than 8 months, you will not be eligible for PGWPP. Such a rule is applicable to both short courses and also degree-seeking international students intending to study in Canada.